A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is required to operate heavy vehicles, vehicles transporting 16 or more people and vehicles transporting hazardous materials. Drivers can also obtain two different classes of CDL and two endorsements.
In the state of Texas, DMV offices do not provide CDL Skills testing. CDL Skills Testing is only offered through third-party testing centers. The Center for Transportation Safety is pleased to offer this service in order to meet the CDL testing demand within the state of Texas.
Here are the basics of the CDL:
Types of Licenses
- Class A: Drivers of vehicles weighing more than 26,001 pounds and towing capability over 10,000 pounds
- Class B: Drivers of vehicles weighing over 26,001 pounds and towing capability up to 10,000 pounds
- P1: Drivers of passenger vehicles that weigh 26,000 pounds or less
- P2: Drivers of passenger vehicles that weigh 26,001 pounds or more
Services and Fees
- Test Fee: $225
- Re-test Fee: $100
- Class A Truck Rental: $250
- Class B Truck Rental: $100
To sign up for the CDL Skills Testing, contact us: 1-877-607-7220 ext. 100